We are pleased to share with all of you a video about the State Sponsored Life Insurance (SSLI) Program offered to members of the VI National Guard (Army and Air) through the V.I. National Guard Association and Armed Forces Benefit Association (AFBA).
State Sponsored Life Insurance (SSLI) is a program that provides group term life insurance exclusively for National Guard members and their dependents. The program is derived from United States Public Law 93-289, May 24, 1974, and is available in all fifty states and territories.
SSLI currently provides (at no cost) a benefit of $1,000.00 payable within 24 hours to the beneficiary designated by a Guard member. In the absence of beneficiary information, the check will be made out to the Guard member’s estate.
You can find information on coverage options and premiums on the State Sponsored Life Insurance (SSLI) website. A synopsis of benefits follows:
- 1,000 no cost life insurance coverage on Soldiers and Airmen
- $10,000 to $260,000 additional coverage available for Soldiers and Airmen
- $5,000 to $155,000 available for spouses
- $5,000 to $25,000 available for children
- Protection continues until age 70
- Provides an emergency death benefit of up to $25,000 within 24 hours
- Benefits remain the same and monthly cost does not change when you retire or separate from the National Guard
- No war, aviation, or terrorism clauses
- You are protected 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and on or off duty
- Monthly premiums are payroll deducted for your convenience
Normally an SSLI briefing is given annually to allow for review of available coverages and completion of paperwork to initiate payroll deduction. However, given the current ‘new normal’ and requirements for social distancing, Guard members can contact AFBA at (800) 462-7441 with any questions or concerns. AFBA is committed to the National Guard market. The rolls are still open, underwriting has not changed, and they will work with members so that no one loses coverage due to financial difficulties.
Please feel free to share widely on all platforms so the word gets out to Guardsmen and family members. Your assistance is appreciated.